Media

ConvaTec Group Plc Annual Results 2018

 

14 February 2019

Download Full Press Release 

 

ConvaTec Group Plc and its subsidiaries ("ConvaTec" or the "Group"), a leading global medical products and technologies company focused on therapies for the management of chronic conditions, today reports audited Annual Results for the twelve months ended 31 December 2018 in line with the revised guidance provided in October 2018.

FY2018 key points:

  • Group reported revenue of $1,832.1 million grew 3.8% year on year, 2.7%2 CER or 0.2%3 organically;
  • Reported EBIT5 of $267.7 million, grew 8.0% year on year due to lower restructuring and pre-IPO share-based payments;
  • Adjusted1 EBIT5 of $429.4 million was down 6.0% year on year primarily due to increased levels of investment in commercial activities and negative mix, more than offsetting increased revenue; adjusted1 EBIT margin 23.4% (2017: 25.9%);

Actions to address strategy execution issues:

  • Transformation Initiative established to implement a refreshed execution model “Pivot to Growth” to deliver strategy more effectively and drive higher revenue growth and profitability;
    • Investment: total of around $150 million over three years, with a two to three year payback expected. Around 30% of this total will be capex investment, with the remaining 70% being operational spend related to restructuring, project management and other transformation costs which will cease at the end of the three year period;
    • By year three of the Transformation Initiative we also expect to incur $50 million of ongoing annual costs related to commercial spend and R&D, building from $15 million in 2019;
    • Benefits: higher revenue growth, $80 million gross annual cost savings by year three, (increasing to $120 million gross annual savings by 2023), and improved profit margin;

Guidance:  

  • Guidance for FY2019: organic revenue growth expected to be 1% to 2.5%, adjusted EBIT margin 18% to 20%, including $50 million of operational spend associated with the Transformation Initiative and costs related to MDR (Medical Device Regulation). Excluding these transformation costs and MDR, the adjusted EBIT margin would be 21% to 22.5%;
  • Medium to long term4, targeting revenue growth in line with or above market and adjusted EBIT margin expansion.

 

Rick Anderson, Group Chief Executive Officer, commented

“These are disappointing results, in light of our revenue and margin guidance at the beginning of 2018. With the Executive Committee, I have undertaken an extensive review of the business since my appointment as CEO and it is clear that swift and strong action is required to address the failures in execution which have caused the Company to underperform.

“Following Board approval, we are now implementing a refreshed execution model to support our strategy and deliver sustainable and profitable growth. We will achieve this by concentrating on those product and market segments which offer the best returns, developing a strong and innovative pipeline of new products, simplifying our business to run it more efficiently and investing to strengthen our commercial and operational execution. This model can be leveraged by an incoming CEO, without constraining any potential strategic changes they may wish to implement.

“We have solid fundamentals, robust cash flows and we have reduced our leverage, but need to invest in the business over the next three years. I fully believe the changes we are making to our execution model will deliver the returns that our shareholders and other stakeholders rightly expect in the future.

“The search for a permanent CEO has made significant progress since October, with a very strong short-list of candidates. The Board is moving quickly on this key appointment.”

(...)

Download the full text of this announcement and the presentation for the Analysts and Investors meeting

 

Enquiries

 
Analysts and Investors 
                                                                                                                     

investorrelations@convatec.com

 

 

 

John Crosse, VP Investor Relations

+44 (0)7500 141435

 

 

 

Kirsty Law, Director Investor Relations     

Mark Reynolds, Director Investor Relations

+44 (0)7470 909582

+44 (0)7551 036625

 

 

 


Media


mediarelations@convatec.com

 

 

 

Bobby Leach, VP Group Corporate Affairs                      

+44 (0)7770 842226

 

 

 

Finsbury

+44 (0)207 2513801

 

 

 

 

 

Cookies are needed for this website to work optimally. They also help us to know a little bit about how you use our website, which improves the browsing experience.  Cookies on this site are used for traffic measurement and optimisation of page content only. By continuing to browse on this website, you indicate your consent to the use of cookies.  You may block the use of cookies by following the "How to block and avoid cookies" instructions

Learn more about our Cookie policy